harvest sunset

Thursday, January 5, 2012

New Year, New List?

New Years resolutions are NOT for the lazy (like me). Every year on January 1st I become all to aware of all the things I need to "do better" for the next year. Usually this list is EXACTLY the same as the list the year before. I feel defeated even thinking about it. Ughh... Does anyone else have the same resolutions every year? You would think I could conquer one and move on to the next. But every year around January 7th I say, "the heck with it, maybe next year?" Here are a few repeats on my list:

1. Floss-- why is this SO hard!!!
2. Eat better
3. Work out more
4. Read my Bible (I'm not even going to pretend like Bible makes #1 on the list, the fact that I forget it before flossing shows you how much I need to read my Bible)
5. Cook REAL meals...mac and cheese/cereal doesn't count

I also make statements to myself like "This is the year I will make more money/finish that project/ find the perfect job"! Am I setting myself up to fail? And why do we always have to "completely change" when the ball drops?  Why don't we wake up on June 15th and say, "Starting today I will give up __" or "This is the year I will ___!" 

Don't get me wrong, I don't think its completely a loss to have resolutions. Deep down, I think there is something inside of us longing for that chance to be better... to change something "negative" about ourselves. I think that longing is good....but I'm not so sure setting unrealistic goals on one day of the year is helpful. Not to me anyways!! 

This year I think I might try to set one realistic goal- something I know on the front end that I won't have a hard time doing. Once I get into that routine, maybe I will add something else to the list? Maybe something harder...like flossing! 

So 2012....my first little resolution is to BLOG! At least once a week. It might bring me sanity to write something. Plus, you can read about our life since we are so horrible at calling people. Yes, Robert, you are included in this part :) 

I am also going to start a Bible Reading Program for slackers...no seriously, it is a program for slackers...it's in the title. Since it's designed specifically for slackers, I feel like I can participate. The best part is the readings aren't assigned to dates...so when I fail, which I will, I won't feel overwhelmed and behind :) Yay! 

What are YOUR resolutions for 2012?!

1 comment:

  1. Oh man, I totally hear you on the flossing thing! Why on earth is something that simple so hard to do? I'll never understand...

    ReplyDelete