harvest sunset

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

revisiting a disney classic


I have been reminded of the Lion King a lot lately. Now that it's out in 3D, a whole different generation is experiencing it for the first time. I haven't seen it in forever, so when the kids I was babysitting for begged to watch their favorite parts, I was excited :) 

They only had a few minutes before bedtime so I told them each to pick their favorite part and we would watch them before bedtime. If someone had asked me that question (as a child) I would have picked the Hakuna Matata song or maybe another light-hearted scene. However, this 6 year old boy and 3 year old girl picked the scene towards the end where Simba fights his uncle, Scar. They loved it! I was slightly confused why they would pick such a dark, dramatic scene. But as we watched it, I was reminded of some of the beautiful themes in this movie. I understand that not everything in the Lion King is correct...and certainly not biblical. However, I couldn't help noticing little pieces of truth scattered in. In this scene where Scar is killed, there is a sense of redemption. Evil is gone and Simba can take the throne as king. Even as a child, we are glad when the bad guy gets the justice he deserves or when the good guy finally wins. Here are a few of my (new) favorite parts:

Simba, now an adult, is struggling with his guilt and his future- 

Adult Simba: I know what I have to do. But going back will mean facing my past. I've been running from it for so long. 

[Rafiki hits Simba on the head with his stick
Adult Simba: Ow! Jeez, what was that for? 
Rafiki: It doesn't matter. It's in the past. 
[laughs
Adult Simba: Yeah, but it still hurts. 
Rafiki: Oh yes, the past can hurt. But the from way I see it, you can either run from it, or... learn from it. 



When Scar dies and Simba takes the throne, a physical change takes place across the land. The dry, dark land becomes lush and green. This part was a sweet reminder of how creation will one day be restored-- the new heavens and earth. 



It's fun to watch these movies that I loved so much as a kid. I pick up on so many things I missed! 


1 comment: